We are all Star Stuff

Published: December 12, 2022
Category: Mental HealthMind/Body Well-Being

When astronomer Carl Sagan said, “We are made of star-stuff,” he wasn’t just being poetic or metaphorical. He was referring to the stellar origins of the chemical elements of life—such as the rocky and metallic material we stand upon, the iron in our blood, and the magnesium in our teeth. The carbon of our genes was formed in the cauldron of stars, then released in supernova explosions into interstellar space where they condense into a new solar system with planets. His scientific studies show that the raw materials that constitute our physical bodies were forged inside distant, long-extinguished stars. 

In his 1981 book The View From Planet Earth, author Vincent Cronin wrote the following: “Our bodies contain three grams of iron; three grams of bright, silver-white magnesium; and smaller amounts of manganese and copper. Proportionate to size, they are among the weightiest atoms in our bodies, and they come from the same source: A long ago star. There are pieces of star within us all.” 

Here’s another fascinating fact. Did you know that humankind shares approximately 99.9 percent of our DNA? That small remaining 0.1 percent accounts for all the genetic variation between people. Illuminating, right? It just goes to show that we truly are more alike than we are different. And when we think of not only this vast commonality between one another, but also with the universe, it allows us to connect to the expansiveness and pure potentiality that exists for each person. You, me, everyone!

Gratefulness is the most powerful positive emotion. And when you look up at the night sky and consider humankind’s connectivity with one another and the universe, it can instill an immense sense of gratitude for our lives and the gift of today. 

I’m sending you strength and love.  

Soaringwords is the power to heal.  

Lisa

Next Stories
  • Mental Health
  • Mind/Body Well-Being
Supporting Yourself and Others to Go the Distance
  • Mental Health
  • Stories
  • Synchronicity
Open to Alchemy: What’s Your Story?